Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Lyme Literate Medical Doctor

As I mentioned in my previous post I waited until after the holidays to really see how I was feeling and….. I was not better.
After reading online and going into different forums I read that I needed to see a LLMD ( Lyme Literate Medical Doctor). After talking to a friend of my brother and sister in laws friend I found a doctor that I could go see- an hour away from me.


I called at the end of December 2011 and was able to get an appointment in late February 2012. After talking to the friend of the friend she gave me her doctor appointment in early January. She has been Lyme free for a year and was just going for a check up.. I was so grateful! She is such a such Lyme Buddy- Thanks Lisa!


I went and saw the LLMD with my husband and father. The LLMD had a room in his office with many recliner chairs and IV poles. I noticed many patients go and get their treatments in his office. There were nurses and heating pads. It was just scary to see that I am going to a doctors office where IV treatment for many is needed.The doctor and I went over all of my symptoms and everything I had been through over the past 5 months. He seemed fairly certain that the Lyme is in my brain and is still very active. He did many neuro tests such as balance tests and reading lines in boxes ( which I did very bad b/c I couldn’t see any lines).


He then did some blood work and sent me to Quest to get more blood work done. We left the appointment. I then was to see him back in three weeks to go over my blood results.
I saw the doctor again last Wednesday, February 8th. He went over my blood test results with me. Good news is that my liver & kidneys are all well. No problems showed up with them in the blood work. Now it is time to discuss the Lyme…


He did 3 Lyme tests: The Elisa, The Western Blot Test, and the c6 peptide. When we went over the results the tests showed that the Lyme was indeed still active. He looked through all of my previous tests and he found that I never had the c6 peptide blood test before. He then decided since I never had this test we do not know if my Lyme number was going down or if the number was staying the same. He decided to use this number as his baseline. I then got blood taken there and am going to have more blood taken in 3 weeks.
I will go back to him in 4 weeks to see if my numbers have dropped, risen or stayed the same. Maybe the treatment I am doing with the intergrative doctor is working or maybe my body is beating it.. so I just have to wait and see.


So I may be needing another piccline and IV antibiotics for 60 days… my first 28 days in Aug/Sept didn’t kill it. Also, I asked if I could infuse myself at home ( before a nurse came and taught me how to give myself my medicine through my piccline). I found out that if I do it at home it will cost me between $15,000-$20,000. If I do it there it will only cost $2,100. The only problem is.. I can’t drive! So I would need a ride to get treatment for 60 days!!!! It is an hour there, treatment is an hour, hour home. So I just don’t know what I am going to do…

2 comments:

  1. WOW that price difference is incredible! Is there a facility or doctor's office that is closer that you can go to and do the treatment? I wish I lived closer, I would offer to drive sometimes! If you need it on the weekend I can definitely help...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know!!!CRAZYYY!! Well that is one of the closest LLMD's that I found. I am not sure if I can get the treatment closer but I did ask them and they said no b/c insurance will not pay for it( they really aren't paying much anyway) Overall the whole insurance thing stinks! We are seeing if I can find a closer place b/c I have no idea how I am going o find someone to drive me for 60 days :(. Thanks Lyndsey.. but they said im off on weekends ( which is weird bc i never had off when I was on it for the 28 days...)

    ReplyDelete