Friday, March 16, 2012

5 down- 55 to go……


Today was the 5th day of my infusion  only 55 more weekdays to go….and boy have I been sick.
The average that my infusion is taking is between 4-6 hours ( daily) and I have to drive ( well be a passenger) an hour there and back.. It is just taking a toll on me but I can’t wait to feel better! I am so appreciative of all the people that have taken me this week and stay there to support me while getting the infusion.. much love and thanks to my mom, my stepmother, my husband & stepfather.


I am doing pretty well when taking the Rocephin (I was on this before for 28 days intravenously but the doctors pulled the Picc and that is why I am not better).  So you wonder why they pulled the Piccline before?  Well because the IDSA guidelines state that Lyme Disease patients should all be treated the same. Doctors need to realize that they can’t just treat everyone by the guidelines and that they need to treat the Lyme by the patient. Everyone has different symptoms and need different antibiotics. It is important that you find a doctor a (LLMD) to treat you for your symptoms and how the Lyme has infected you.


I am also taking Vancomycin. This antibiotic is the one that has been making me pretty sick. High blood pressure, heart beating fast, nausea, dizziness. They had to slow the drip- just this one antibiotic alone has been dripping for about 3-5 hours a day. The doctor explained that this helps push the Rocephin into my brain faster and harder.. so we will see!


When I met with the Doctor she wrote me a script to get a Brain Spec Scan- she said that the Lyme is definitely in my brain and this will show how it is affecting my brain. I am anxious to see the results in the beginning of this treatment and compare it to the end of treatment.


The doctor also discussed my blood work and how all my tests are all positive and reactive. It is important to know that I consider myself “ one of the lucky ones”. I know that I have had a few Drs. misdiagnose me but most of the others getting infusion tested negative for some of their blood work. It is important to know the symptoms that Lyme can cause and continue to retest or try to start treatment. 


The way the test to find Lyme is not to test really for the bacteria itself but to test for the antibodies that the body will produce to try and fight the disease. My body was just fighting too many other things such as the mold, metals, and co-infections that my Lyme was winning..


So here I am beginning my treatment yet again about 7 months after I was diagnosed. I am hoping for the best and am staying as positive as I can.. sick and all  Thanks for all of your support and please continue to RASIE AWARENESS.. and also to treat your lawn for ticks and to get frontline for your pets to help prevent Lyme.

4 comments:

  1. Sam,

    Just read your whole blog... wow you've been through alot. I'm sorry you are going through all of this and I hope all this medicine works. My thoughts and prayers are with you!

    Jen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Jen! Plese rasie awareness! <3

      Delete
  2. Sam, have been following your blog, makes me tear up everytime. You and your family are in my prayers. Stay strong and keep fighting! :)
    Sincerely, Lauren O'Brien

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lauren,
      Thank you so very much!!! Please help raise awareness!! <3

      Delete